Monday 12 September 2016

A step in the right direction

So here goes my first real post. I have a solid two weeks to catch up on in my next few posts, so bear with me.

Sunday, August 28th honestly feels like it happened in a different life. I don't know if that's a good thing, because I've so adjusted to life here, or if it means time is passing slowly..thoughts?

Anyways, although it feels like ages ago I still remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach when I said goodbye to the fam at the airport. There's something about the unknown that freaks the shit out of me, as it does any sane person, but at the same time, holds so much excitement. So as I checked my bags, and printed my boarding pass, I finally felt ready. Then there was my mom. Of course she was going to cry, she was about to send her baby off.  So that of course, gave me doubt (and of course made me tear up) but I was still ready.


From customs all the way to my arrival at Charles de Gaulle was smooth sailing which definitely put me at ease. I was met by a friend at the airport in Paris and headed towards Chalons, my home away from home.



I spent a few days catching up with a few old friends, with a diet consisting mostly of baguettes and cheese from the Fromagerie, and for anyone who knows me, you'll know for certain that I definitely wasn't complaining.






Departing from Chalons wasn't easy, and it probably never will be, but I was excited for the next leg of my journey. I had a layover at Gare de Lyon before heading down south so I had arranged to meet up with my exchange partner from 2013, Marie-Lou, to catch up.

For anyone who has ever passed through the Gare de Lyon in Paris you will probably know of the famous "Le Bleu Train". You will also probably know that a 20 year old with a 65L backpack plus a suitcase does not fit in with the "regular" clientele. Needless to say we made ourselves right at home anyways. This had to be of been one the classiest places I've ever been. And if the 8 euro glass of orange juice doesn't speak that, then I don't know what does.



Then it was time to leave Paris, but not without buying a postcard.. or 5... of course. Leaving Paris, and saying goodbye to Marie-Lou was no easier than leaving Chalons, but again, I think about how lucky I am to have made such amazing connections on the other side of the world. I was excited and ready to begin the next part of adventure, settling in, in Grenoble. 








No comments:

Post a Comment